Biggest Loser Grilled Chicken Parmesan
Traditional Chicken Parmesan can be a calorie nightmare. Chicken breasts are dredged in egg, flour and breadcrumbs and pan or deep fried, are covered with a thick tomato sauce and copious amounts of cheese. Here, Biggest Loser eliminates the breading and grills the chicken. We have adapted this recipe to use either low sodium low sugar marinara sauce, or, fresh sliced tomatoes from the garden. Both are delicious and we don’t miss the bread crumbs.
- 4 (4-ounce) trimmed boneless, skinless chicken breastsr more to taste
- Olive oil in a sprayer (not store-bought spray that contains propellant)
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup low-fat, low-sodium, low-sugar marinara sauce
- -or- 2 sliced ripe tomatoes + olive oil + basil to taste
- 6 tablespoons finely shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated reduced-fat Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly mist both sides of the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the chicken, turning once, for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until it is no longer pink inside and juices run clear. Transfer to a baking dish.
- If using marinara, heat the sauce on low in the microwave until warm.
- If using tomato, slice the tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and a sprinkle of either fresh or dried basil.
- Top each breast with either 2 tablespoons marinara sauce -or- 2-3 slices of tomato
- Top each breast with 1-1/2 tablespoons mozzarella, and 1/2 teaspoon Parmesan.
- Bake the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes, or just until the cheese is melted.
NBC’s BIGGEST LOSER program is conducted at the Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge, Utah. Excerpted from various sources including The Biggest Loser Cookbook and Cheryl Forberg, RD, the author of The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle; Jennie-O Turkey Store; Biggest Loser Family Cookbook; and Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge. Photo (c) Andvkt @ Dreamstime