Super Salmon Blueberry Salad
This salad is a power house of super foods! Super Anti Oxidant Blueberries and Omega-3 rich Salmon are simply dressed with sweet onions, red wine vinegar, a little seasoning, and olive oil. It’s simple and perfect.
- 1 medium-sized red onion, thinly sliced in half rings
- 1/4 cup Regina red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds salmon fillet, cut crosswise in 4 portions
- 6 cups lettuce leaves in bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a microwaveable cup, combine onion, red wine vinegar, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper; cover loosely with plastic wrap; microwave on high power for 1 minute.
- Let stand, stirring occasionally, until onions turn pink, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill or broiler.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of the olive oil on both sides of the salmon fillets; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Grill or broil salmon, skin side down, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Divide lettuce leaves among 4 dinner plates; place salmon in the center.
- With a slotted spoon, remove onions from vinegar; scatter onions, along with the blueberries, over and around the fish.
- Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons of the olive oil into the vinegar mixture; drizzle vinaigrette over salmon.
YIELD: 4 portions
The photo and recipe are courtesy of the North American Blueberry Council, which has many recipes for healthy fare on its site, including this one.