Southern Style Greens
Greens are an excellent source of iron, calcium and vitamins. Instead of a kettle of greens simmered in pork fat all day, which can be high fat and high sodium, try this spa-style light version. We love greens so much, we make them in place of chicken soup when we are ill. Always what the doctor ordered. Serve with black beans and our spa style Corn Custard for a striking combination of colors and flavors.
- 1 bunch of collard, mustard, chard, kale or turnip greens (or mixed)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash the greens carefully to remove sand and grit. Remove large or tough stems and chop or tear the greens coarsely.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the onion and garlic until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the greens to the pot and cover for a few minutes. Remove lid and stir gently every 3-4 minutes, replacing lid each time to speed wilting
- Cook entire batch 10-15 minutes until greens are thoroughly wilted and softened. If a more soupy, softer consistency is desired, add fat-free chicken broth just to cover and simmer until soft.
- Remove from heat, add vinegar, soy sauce and pepper.