Roasted Lemon Chicken
This is a wonderful way to cook chicken you plan to use for salads and sandwiches. The light lemon flavor greatly enhances almost anything it accompanies.
- 1 whole 3-pound chicken, rinsed inside and out and all visible fat removed
- 1/4 cup fat-free chicken stock
- 1 lemon half, juiced and saved
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place the chicken on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Combine the stock and lemon juice and pour over the chicken.
- Combine the oregano, lemon zest, salt, and pepper and spread the chicken with the mixture, under the skin.
- Put the lemon half from the juice inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown and the juices run clear when pierced in the thick part of the leg.
- Remove the skin before serving.
By the Numbers
Serving size: 3 oz | Cal: 381 | Fat (g): 4 | Carbs (g): 1 | Sodium (mg): 242 | Protein (g): 79 | Chol (mg): 197