Jet Fuel 5 Calorie Salad Dressing
This fat-free salad dressing used at Canyon Ranch is from a book called Jet Fuel, The New Food Strategy for the High Performance Person, published in 1984. Don’t worry about the vintage origins — this isn’t one of those old recipes from a musty thrift-store cookbook your grandmother used. This dressing has remained so popular with guests at Canyon Ranch that they keep it on the menus — and still call it Jet Fuel Dressing. The flavor is better if the combination is made the day before you plan to use it, allowing the flavors, especially optional add-ins, to marry.
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- Add 1 tablespoon each of fresh oregano, basil, and tarragon, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon of each of the same herbs, dried, crushing them first in a mortar and pestle.
- Add 1 teaspoon curry powder and 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin and chopped cilantro to taste
- Add 3 tablespoons fresh tarragon, finely chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried, crushed before using in a mortar and pestle
- Combine the salt and vinegar and stir until the salt is completely dissolved.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, except the water, and mix well.
- Add the water last and mix well.
- Refrigerate in a tightly covered container.