Gluten Free Quinoa Blueberry Muffins
Christine Denney, the chef for the Oaks at Ojai health spa in California, created these guest-favorite Quinoa Blueberry Muffins. They are both gluten-free and dairy-free, and make for a nutritious, light and flavorful addition to the breakfast bread basket. Serve them for breakfast or tuck them in a lunch box for school or work — they freeze well and are nicely thawed by lunch time.
- 3 cups gluten-free flour mix (such as Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All Purpose Baking Mix)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Mix flour mix and baking powder together in a small bowl.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix the quinoa gently with the agave, milk, egg and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour blend just until blended and then fold in the blueberries.
- Put 1/4 cup of the batter in each of 24 muffin cups
- Bake at 350 degrees approximately 20 minutes or until top of muffin springs back when touched.
More about the Oaks at Ojai:
The Oaks at Ojai is an all-inclusive destination spa in California, a healthy retreat offering guests a range of activity from guided hikes into the mountains, to water aerobics, to restorative yoga. As an American Plan Spa, The Oaks provides a well-rounded calorie-conscious food plan that consists of three meals, snacks and beverages. The varied menus feature natural foods, fresh fish and poultry, locally-grown fruits and vegetables, homemade salad dressings and soups – all without a touch of additional salt or refined sugar used in the preparation.