Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sliders
It’s finally summer! Which means for many of us, a bevy of backyard barbecues. For those of you looking for a veggie burger in place of traditional beef sliders, try this Grilled Portobello Mushroom Sliders recipe courtesy of PureRejuv Wellness Center, a health retreat in the Poconos. Portobello mushrooms are known for their “meaty” texture and can hold up well on the grill at high temperatures. Whether you skewer them for easier cooking, or for larger Portobellos, place them on the grill, these are worth a try at your next barbecue. Top with any traditional burger fixings like lettuce, tomato, and onions. For our recipe we’ve kept it simple to highlight the smoky flavor of the grill with caramelized onions and Gouda cheese. Don’t forget your favorite BBQ sauce to drizzle on top—you can’t have a proper barbecue without some BBQ sauce!
- 6 baby Portobello stuffing mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 ounces smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 6 organic slider buns
- Over medium-high heat in a skillet, add 1/2 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Next add the sliced onion with a pinch of salt. Let caramelize, stirring occasionally (about 10 minutes). Turn off heat and set aside.
- Brush mushrooms with remaining olive oil and sprinkle both sides with pepper, paprika, onions, and chili powder.
- Heat your grill (or skillet) on medium heat; cook the mushrooms until juicy and tender (about 5 minutes on each side). In the last minute of cooking, add a slice of Gouda cheese on top to melt.
- Lightly toast the buns on the grill for even more flavor while cooking the mushrooms.
- Assemble the sliders by placing the mushrooms on the bun, top with the caramelized onion and a generous drizzle of BBQ sauce.
PureRejuv offers wellness retreats, spa services, medical consultations and an integrative lifestyle blog to support individuals in their quest to create a more vibrant and healthy life. Their wellness retreats and services draw from both scientifically backed techniques and alternative healing methods designed to rejuvenate body, mind, and spirit. As the wellness division for the Himalayan Institute Retreat Center, PureRejuv has practiced medicine that values the whole person for over 35 years. They are nestled in the rolling Pocono Mountains of Honesdale, PA on a 400 acre campus with lodging, an educational center, day spa, book store, cafe, and more.