Green Mountain Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Orange Glaze
Zucchini season is in full swing and if you have a garden, you’ll likely have a bumper crop of squash by now. While it’s great on its own, zucchini also provides wonderful texture and moistness when added to cakes and breads. This chocolate zucchini cake with a hint of orange is a very popular dessert at Green Mountain at Fox Run, Vermont, a health retreat for women. Taste it and you’ll know why!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake with Orange Glaze
Courtesy of: Green Mountain at Fox Run, Vermont
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
Orange Glaze Ingredients
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8×8” cake pan or 8” round spring form pan.
- In medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs and stir in canola oil.
- Beat dry ingredients into egg mixture alternately with yogurt.
- Stir in vanilla, orange peel and zucchini.
- Pour batter in baking pan and bake 50 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Make glaze. Mix together powdered sugar and butter. Stir in orange juice and grated peel. Drizzle glaze over cake.