Blood Orange Smoothie
This vibrant and delicious Blood Orange Smoothie is an anti-oxidant treat. Blood Oranges are favored for their deep ruby flesh and complex flavor of citrus and berry. Some blood oranges may be tart, while other kinds are sweet.
All citrus fruits are a terrific source of Vitamin C, and a medium orange provides about 28% of the recommended daily intake of dietary fibre. The pigment which turns the flesh red is anthocyanin — an anti-oxidant. Blood Oranges have far more anti-oxidants than other oranges. A simple Sicilian salad is made with sliced blood oranges, sliced fennel off the bulb, and dressed simply with olive oil, salt and pepper.
The primary sweetener in this smoothie is Equal®. If you prefer a non-artificial sweetener, try it with stevia or honey, as you prefer.
- 8 oz. blood orange juice
- 2 oz. low or non fat vanilla yogurt
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1-3 Equal® packets -or-
- Sweetener of your choice
- 1/2 cup ice or crushed ice
- Thoroughly blend first four ingredients together in standard blender container.
- Add ice and blend to desired consistency.
- For a thicker shake, more ice can be added.
- Pour smoothie into a tall serving glass, and garnish as desired.