Blistered Tomato Spinach Scramble
The Ranch at Live Oak Malibu assists guests in recalibrating their mind, body and spirit through an intensive week long endurance, wellness and nutrition program. Located three miles above the Pacific Ocean in the Santa Monica Mountains, the 15-cottage retreat is beautifully situated on a large working ranch. The open-air kitchen at The Ranch makes meal time a communal experience. Guests are encouraged to join the Chef during his weekly cooking class to learn the basic techniques and skills required to create a healthy plate. These lessons are reinforced when guests return home with regular communication from The Ranch, including seasonal recipes and tips for maintaining results, like this light and healthy breakfast entree of Blistered Tomato Spinach Scramble.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups lightly packed spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- Nutritional yeast, optional
- In a large, heavy skillet, heat 2 tsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and garlic; cook, shifting pan occasionally, until tomatoes are lightly browned and blistered on all sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp. oil in skillet. Add spinach, scallions, thyme and red pepper flakes; sauté until spinach is tender, about 5 minutes. Spread spinach evenly over skillet. Scatter tomatoes over spinach and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour eggs into skillet and turn off heat.
- Immediately stir egg mixture with a heatproof spatula until eggs are gently scrambled, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with nutritional yeast, if desired, and serve hot.
Photo (c) Sara Remington