Athlete’s Foot Remedy
There are many over the counter remedies for Athlete’s Foot, including powders and creams, but for those who find those remedies caustic and harsh, and appreciate a natural approach, try this home remedy which relies on the naturally occurring disinfecting and antibacterial qualities of alcohol, garlic and cinnamon.
Athlete’s foot occurs when a fungus grows on your skin in your feet. In addition to the toes, it may also occur on the heels, palms, and between the fingers. The fungus thrives in warm, moist areas. Your risk for getting athlete’s foot increases if you:
- Wear closed shoes, especially if they are plastic-lined
- Keep your feet wet for prolonged periods of time
- Perspire a lot
- Develop a minor skin or nail injury
Athlete’s foot is contagious, and can be passed through direct contact, or contact with items such as shoes, stockings, and shower or pool surfaces. Always wear pool and gym sandals to give yourself added protection.
- 20 to 30 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 to 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 to 4 teaspoons powdered cloves
- 5 oz. 100-proof vodka
- Add garlic, cinnamon, and cloves to vodka in a dark-colored glass jar or bottle with lid.
- Seal tightly.
- Store out of direct sunlight for two weeks, shaking to mix every few days.
- The tincture will be ready to use in 14 days.
- Strain garlic cloves and remove.
- Store tincture in refrigerator and use within 30 days.
Source: U.S. National Library of Medicine – The World’s Largest Medical Library