Cape Cod and Nantucket Spa Getaways for “Shoulder Season”
Summer on the Cape is a time-honored getaway celebrated by friends, families, and loved ones. The Cape is 20 miles at its widest point and completely surrounded by water: Cape Cod Bay on the north, Buzzards Bay on the west, Vineyard and Nantucket Sounds on the south and the Atlantic Ocean on the east. Countless historic sites and landmarks tell the proud role that Cape Cod has played in American history. Cape Cod, Provincetown, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket — these destinations each evoke the quintessential ideal of a beach town vacation or a romantic seaside getaway. The summer weather is perfect for boating, swimming, and sunning and there are dozens of events planned for family fun. But, with popularity comes tourist demand and with demand comes seasonal high rates and difficulty booking your restaurant inns, restaurants, and spas.
It’s time to think about visiting these beautiful destinations in the so-called “Shoulder Season” — March, April, September and October. Shoulder season comes right between the high prices of peak season and the unpredictable or less ideal weather of the low season. Not only are the rates more affordable, the population decreases, and several wonderful festivals, activities and events remain on the calendar. These months — post-Memorial Day and prior to the chilly season that November brings — are a beautiful time to visit for a Cape Cod and Nantucket Spa Vacation.
Visiting the Cape and Nantucket in September and October brings cooler temperatures (especially in the evenings), a new calendar of festivals, and many of the island’s top restaurants and spas are still welcoming visitors at more manageable rates.
Our Picks for Nantucket, Cape Cod and Provincetown Inns, Hotels and Resorts:
- Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa, Chatham, Cape Cod. The Chatham Bars Inn boasts a beautiful, private, quarter mile beach for you to sunbathe, stroll, and relax. The lodging has been recently upgraded to offer even more luxury lodging and spa treatment rooms, and it was already lovely! The Spa at Chatham Bars offers luxury treatments and amenities including over-sized treatment rooms with private showers, a Vichy Shower, and a hydrotherapy tub.
- Red Jacket Beach Resort & Spa, Yarmouth, Cape Cod. This oceanfront resort is on the waters of Nantucket Sound in Yarmouth, and features a beautiful sweep of private ocean beach. This full-service resort and spa has all of the comforts to make Cape Cod vacation memorable — family activities, the full service Otis Cole Day Spa, and lodging ranging from deluxe rooms to pet friendly apartments and private residences.
- The Hob Knob Inn and Spa, Martha’s Vineyard. This 19th century gothic revival home has been transformed into the island’s premier eco-boutique hotel. Whether you stay in the 17-room Hob Knob hotel or prefer the exclusive privacy of your own Hob Knob House, guests can expect modern luxury amenities, including the Hob Knob Spa, in a relaxed atmosphere that embraces authentic Vineyard life.
- White Elephant Inn & Residences, Nantucket. This charming Inn is a relaxing destination, but its close proximity to the hustle and bustle of Nantucket Town means a little more excitement and a family atmosphere great for groups and friends. Choose from a deluxe guest room, luxury suite, or a spacious residence. There are a myriad of kid-friendly amenities, and guests enjoy access to the White Elephant Spa.
- White Elephant Hotel & Spa, Nantucket. This hotel is perfectly situated just a stroll away from shops, boutiques, art galleries, restaurants, cafes, coffee shops, museums, and Nantucket landmarks. Walk to Brant Point Lighthouse, take a Hinckley cruise, or lounge on the white sands of Nantucket’s beaches. While at the hotel, enjoy spa services at the beautiful White Elephant Spa with its views of the harbor.
- The Wauwinet, Nantucket. This luxury boutique hotel and spa is adjacent to the Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge and nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and Nantucket Bay. The Spa at the Wauwinet is its most popular draw, with signature spa treatments developed using local and sea-inspired ingredients. The Inn’s restaurant Toppers serves oysters cultivated just 300 yards from the hotel, and has been honored in Wine Spectator Magazine.
- Nantucket Boat Basin, Nantucket. If you are arriving by boat, be sure to reserve a slip at the Boat Basin. This full-service marina is located in historic Nantucket Harbor. The Boat Basin is member of Nantucket Resorts and is a luxury destination for New England area sailors and yacht captains and best of all — your slip entitles you to luxury amenities, pet-friendly docks, spa services, dining, and concierge services enjoyed by Nantucket Resort guests.
- The Nantucket Island Resorts Group has luxury, family, and pet friendly lodging and accommodation options for your enjoyment.
- BROWSE MORE HOTELS AND DAY SPAS IN MASSACHUSETTS
- This themed week in Nantucket is such a fun time to visit! From September 28 to October 4, the regions’ best restaurants and Chef celebrate the superlative culinary tradition found in Nantucket. Experience exceptional food, wine and Nantucket’s hospitality in many of the island’s acclaimed culinary establishments. Guests will enjoy a three course dinner from $25 to $45. It is the perfect opportunity to taste something new or to dine with an old favorite. Some of our favorite spa hotel’s own dining establishments are participating, including The White Elephant Inn’s Brant Point Grill and The Wauwinet Inn’s Toppers Restaurant.
Festivals and Events in the Shoulder Season:
- Celebrate our Waters Festival (September)
- Bourne Scallop Festival (September)
- Cape Cod Children’s Museum Annual Alice in Wonderland Tea (September)
- Cape Cod Brew Fest (September)
- Cape Cod Wildlife Festival (September)
- JazzFest Falmouth (September)
- Nantucket Restaurant Week (September – October)
- Fall for Harwich Festival (September – October)
- Fall for the Arts Festival (October)
- Cape Cod Cranberry Day East Sandwich (October)
- Vinegrass Music Festival (October)
- Woods Hole Film Festival (October)
- Yarmouth Seaside Festival (October)
- Martha’s Vineyard Food & Wine Festival (October)
- Cape Cod Oyster Week (October)
- Sandwich Pumpkin Fest (October)
- Cape Cod Marathon Weekend (October)