Biggest Loser Roast Beef Roll Ups
This savory roll up sandwich is portable for work, school or play, or for serving at a party or reception. We made these for a holiday party in our office building. The table was laden with sweet treats, but almost nothing savory (unless you count purchased carrot sticks with ranch dressing, and chips and salsa). Our plate of roast beef roll ups was cleared first. This recipe uses whole wheat tortillas, reduced fat cream cheese, roasted peppers, and fresh basil. Plus, a tip for why you should roast your own bell peppers.
- 1 tablespoon fat-free cream cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon chili garlic sauce
- 1 whole-wheat flour, 96% fat-free tortilla (8" diameter)
- Scant 1/4 cup roasted red bell pepper strips
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shaved cooked London Broil or lean, low-sodium deli roast beef
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and chili garlic sauce to taste. Stir to mix well.
- Place the tortilla on a cutting board. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over about two-thirds of the tortilla to the edges.
- Top the cream cheese mixture with the pepper strips, basil, and roast beef.
- Starting at the filled end, roll the tortilla tightly into a tube, being careful not to tear it.
- Space 8 toothpicks evenly across it and poke them into the tube so they go through and touch the cutting board. With a sharp knife, cut between the tortilla to make 8 pieces.
- Take one piece and push the toothpick through so that the roll is evenly spaced in the center. Repeat with the remaining pieces.
- Arrange, spiral side up, on a serving plate. Serve your roast beef immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 6 hours.
NBC’s BIGGEST LOSER program is conducted at the Biggest Loser Resorts, Utah. Excerpted from various sources including The Biggest Loser Cookbook and Cheryl Forberg, RD, the author of The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle; Jennie-O Turkey Store; Biggest Loser Family Cookbook; and Biggest Loser Resorts