Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint Recipe
During what can be stiflingly hot, summer days, everyone craves cool refreshment, for both the body and tongue, whether it be by swimming in the sea, lakes, rivers or swimming pools, sipping iced tea and flavored waters, or staying indoors with the air conditioning and a cooling body treatment or facial. One of our favorite ways to beat the heat is with chilled cuisine, and a particularly refreshing dish is a unique, Watermelon Salad with Feta and Mint, served by a Virginia B&B — the Iris Inn — to its guests.
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 8-pound seedless watermelon
- 1 -1/4 cups pitted kalamata olives, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into ½-inch dice
- 2 cups feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup coarsely chopped mint leaves
- Prepare the watermelon by scooping with a melon baller or cutting into bite sized cubes, as desired. Keep chilled.
- In a large bowl, whisk the oil, lemon juice, salt, Tabasco and pepper. Set aside.
- Chop the olives and onions, if using. Chop the mint.
- Toss the melon and salad ingredients with the dressing.
- Garnish with the mint and serve immediately.
Recipe Courtesy of:
Heidi and Dave Lanford are the hosts of the Iris Inn, in Waynesboro, Virginia. This Virginia retreat overlooks the Shenandoah Valley from a 12-acre Blue Ridge mountain top. Celebrate your anniversary or birthday with in-room champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries. Surf the web with our free Wi-Fi, while unwinding on a deck swing. Soak your cares away in a two-person Jacuzzi or an outdoor hot tub, and relax with your own in-room massage. During your stay, enjoy wine tasting nearby wineries, explore hiking trails and tour the region.