Vegan Vanilla Butterscotch Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream
I created this ice cream for my brother-in-law who was musing on his fond childhood memories of butterscotch ripple ice cream. I served it yesterday at lunch and everyone was thrilled with my creation. It harkens back to that rich creamy butterscotch ripple ice-cream that had the perfect combination of smooth caramel sweet with a touch of salt to balance the flavor. I used medjool dates, Himalayan salt, vanilla and crushed dark chocolate with almonds to add a rich crunch and sweet healthy flavors. Marian Tobin-Hardy, Naturally Well By The Sea Health Retreat, Florida
Naturally Well By The Sea is an all-inclusive wellness destination resort program and spa, operating within The Marriott Residence Inn located in Pompano Beach / Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- 12 dates, pitted and soaked for 2 hours and drained
- 1 tablespoon raw almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut cream (Artisana brand) or organic coconut oil
- Zest of 1 organic orange
- Juice of 1 organic orange
- 1 tablespoon. vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 4 tablespoons agave or sweetener of choice
- 1 vegan almond dark chocolate bar (3 oz), broken into small pieces
- 2 cans or organic coconut milk (13 oz each)
- Place first 8 ingredients in a food processor and process until very creamy and smooth.
- Add coconut milk to ice cream maker and process for 10 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Slowly add ¾ of the date mixture to coconut milk and process until it thickens. This will take an additional 15 minutes or so.
- Add chocolate chunks and process a few minutes longer.
- Pour contents into a freezer proof container. Swirl in remaining date mixture.
- Cover and put in freezer for several hours.
- Serve with chocolate sauce or addition chocolate shavings.