Rancho La Puerta Spiced Apple Salad
Rancho La Puerta Executive Chef Bill Wavrin, author of the best-selling Rancho La Puerta Cookbook, comments that this salad is “often requested by returning guests who can’t wait to get back and have it for lunch.”
One of our readers notes:
“This salad is easily adaptable for one person by just tossing a cut up apple with a handful of the loose ingredients, and then a splash of each wet ingredient, a shake of spice, and you’re there, in a few minutes flat. This healthy salad will also appeal to children.”
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup unfiltered, unsweetened apple juice
- 1 tablespoon raisins or currants
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 Golden or Red Delicious apples
- In a deep mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, apple juice, raisins, sunflower seeds, coconut, lime juice, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Core the apples and cut into thin wedges or bite-size pieces.
- Toss the apples in the yogurt mixture and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.