Lake Austin Spa Grilled Turkey Cristo Sandwich
This simple spa style grilled turkey cristo sandwich is from the kitchens of the Lake Austin Spa Resort in Texas. Simple and wholesome, this sandwich features turkey, tomato, and Swiss cheese, and is dipped in egg white before grilling. This is a lower fat cousin of the calorie-dense “Monte Cristo” which traditionally would be sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with fruit preserves for dipping.
You’ll find this version, which is dipped in egg whites and grilled, healthy and satisfying, the perfect mate for your leftover turkey this holiday season.
Tips: Be certain to cut the turkey as thinly as possible — this is a club-style and is easier and tidier to consume if you’re not wrestling with large pieces of turkey. We’ve also made this sandwich with a whole-wheat pita pocket, slicing a small slit in the pita and stuffing the ingredients inside. We held the slit above the egg mixture and dipped the remainder of the sandwich in the egg white mixture before grilling. If you want that bit of fruit flavor customary in a Monte Cristo, spread a very thin layer of cranberry preserves, sauce or curd on one side of the bread, only, and adjust calorie content accordingly.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 oz cooked turkey, sliced very thin
- 2 slices skim Swiss cheese
- 2 thin tomato slices
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Dijon mustard
- On each slice of bread, spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard.
- On each slide of bread, layer one slice of skim Swiss Cheese, one slice of tomato, and sliced turkey.
- Lift and press the two halves together, with sandwich ingredients in the center, so that the layers are bread, cheese, tomato, turkey, tomato, cheese, bread. Beat the egg white with milk and a pinch of cayenne in a shallow dish.
- Dip the sandwich in the egg white and coat both sides.
- Brown the sandwiches in a nonstick pan, turning to brown both sides and melt the cheese.
- Slice and serve.