Scallops with Grapefruit Avocado Salsa
This is one of our favorite summery seafood entrees. It is rich tasting from the dense scallops and made lively with a salsa of creamy avocado, red grapefruit sections, and chives and cilantro. Chop up the salsa roughly, or plate it as a salad. We don’t always have grapefruits on hand, and with peeled and sectioned grapefruit in their own juice readily available in our market (a convenience we truly love), we are able to make this quickly.
- 1 cup pink grapefruit sections, diced (pith and membrane removed)
- 1/4 cup sweet red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup sweet red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 jalapeño chili, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 fresh sea scallops
- Scant butter or olive oil
- Mix all salsa ingredients and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Sauté scallops in a scant amount of butter or olive oil, 2 minutes each side or until golden ridges develop.
- Plate the scallops 4 per serving, and top each with a dollop of grapefruit salsa and serve immediately, or, plate the salsa ingredients and top with scallops. Sprinkle with fresh chives or thyme.