Our popular Rose Water Recipe is made with rose petals, alcohol and water and forms the basis for a good many home spa treatments and cosmetics for delicate and sensitive skin, and, for making perfumes and aromatics for the bath. The next time your sweetheart sends you flowers and they begin to droop, save the petals before they wither and use them to make rosewater, and you’ll wear your sweetheart’s gift on your skin.
There used to be a wonderful florist in our neighborhood who saved loose and discarded rose petals from its trimmings for customers who wished to use them for potpourri. Ask if your florist will do the same for your home spa recipes.
- 1 cup rose petals
- 1-1/2 cups distilled water
- 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol or vodka
- Simmer rose petals in water for 10 minutes. Strain and remove petals
- Add alcohol to the remaining water (see Note)
- Bottle and store in the fridge for 2 weeks if using alcohol or 1 week without
First published May 25, 2007