Biggest Loser Raspberry Jelly Rolls
These Raspberry Jelly Rolls are excerpted from The Biggest Loser Dessert Cookbook by Chef Devin Alexander and the Biggest Loser Expert and and Cast, with Melissa Roberson. “I included a recipe for Better Blueberry Pancakes in the first Biggest Loser Cookbook that I continually receive fan letters about,” says Devin. “Since they’ve been so well received, I’ve created these not-exactly-jelly-rolls using that pancake batter as a base instead of buttery, sugary cake batter.”
“These pickup-able sweet treats at only 85 calories a serving are perfect for kids and grown-ups alike,” she adds. “And if you love them as much as I do, you can keep the batter prepared in your refrigerator for a few days so it’s ready when a craving hits!”
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup whole grain oat flour
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons 100% fruit raspberry spread
- 1/8 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the buttermilk, flour, egg white, baking soda, vanilla, salt, and water.
- Whisk until just blended. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium heat until it is hot enough for a spritz of water to sizzle on it. With an oven mitt, briefly remove the pan from the heat to mist lightly with cooking spray. Return the pan to the heat.
- Pour two 1/4-cup dollops of batter onto the skillet (half of the batter should remain).
- Cook for 2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the tops and the bottoms are golden brown. Flip. Cook for 2 minutes, or until browned on the bottom.
- Transfer the finished "cakes" to a cutting board or flat work surface.
- Re-spray the pan and cook the remaining batter to make 4 total.
- Place the finished "cakes," with the sides that were cooked first, face down on your work surface.
- Spread each evenly with 2 teaspoons of the fruit spread, leaving about 1/2" of one edge bare.
- Gently roll each "cake" from the filled edge to the bare edge into a tube shape, being careful that the spread does not gush out.
- Arrange them on a serving plate, seam sides down.
- Transfer the cocoa powder, if desired, to a fine sieve or sifter and lightly dust the tops of the rolls evenly with the cocoa.
- Serve immediately, 1 roll per portion.
NBC’s BIGGEST LOSER program is conducted at the Biggest Loser Resorts, Utah