Pumpkin Cranberry Quick Bread Recipe
We find most of the pumpkin muffin offerings at our local chain coffee stop or warehouse stores to be dry, artificial tasting, loaded with sugar, and generally abysmal. We want a moister, more flavorful version, enhancing the flavor of SuperFood pumpkin and healthful cranberries.
We’ve got two recipes for you — a link to an excellent and straight-forward American version using canned pumpkin puree and frozen whole cranberries, from the popular blog called Sassy Radish written by Olga Massov (her version is beautifully pictured, above), and another version from Golden Door Spa, a popular destination spa in Escondido, California, using yogurt, whole wheat flour, orange juice, and dried cranberries.
Guests of the Golden Door are treated to the healthiest cuisine possible, much of it using organic produce grown in the spa’s own gardens, homemade breads and muffins, locally raised free-range chickens and turkeys, and fish from the nearby Pacific Ocean. This moist and tangy pumpkin cranberry quick bread, served warm, is equally good at the breakfast table, or served for a healthy dessert.
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup butternut squash or pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Lightly coat an 8 1/2-by-4 1/2 loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the squash or pumpkin puree, brown sugar, yogurt or buttermilk, orange juice concentrate, egg, orange zest, and canola oil and process until smooth.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the squash or pumpkin mixture.
- Stir just until blended; do not over mix.
- Stir in the cranberries.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and let cool completely. Cut into thin slices to serve. Accompany with yogurt cheese.