Pritikin Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
The Pritikin Longevity Center in Florida says “There’s nothing more comforting than a bowl of Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup, but the sodium content of many recipes can be a staggering 600 mg per cup. Our Pritikin version has no added sodium but loads of deep, savory flavor.”
- 1/2 cup fresh garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 whole cabbage finely sliced, core cut out
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 Tbsp basil dry
- 1/2 Tbsp oregano dry
- 1 cup tomato puree low sodium
- 1 quart vegetable stock low sodium
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 pound sugar cane stalks split
- 1 tablespoon Pritikin® All-Purpose Seasoning
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander freshly ground
- 1 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- In a large stock pot, saute garlic, onion, and cabbage on medium-high heat until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add bay leaves, basil, oregano, tomato puree, vegetable stock, vinegar, sugar cane, Pritikin All-Purpose Seasoning, and water. Bring to boil, then simmer for 1 hour.
- Add coriander and black pepper. Remove sugar cane. Adjust vinegar and seasonings, if needed. Cook for 5 minutes more. Serve.
The Pritikin Program promotes weight loss but also enhances health, and powerfully so. A stay at our all-inclusive weight loss resort, Pritikin Longevity Center in Florida, will change your life. Lose weight, get fit and return home with the tools needed to live a healthier life.