Peach Melba French Toast with Raspberry Sauce
When peaches are ripe, we find no additional sweeteners are required for recipes using this summer fruit. For that reason, this French Toast recipe is easy to adapt to a no-sugar-added. If you use frozen or canned fruit for the dish or the sauce, be sure to select no-sugar-added or sweetened with fruit juice, only.
- 3 pounds fresh or frozen peaches (or 2 cans), sliced and drained
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- French bread, sliced
- 1 - 12-ounce can Dole frozen Country Raspberry juice (undiluted)
- 3 tablespoons "Ultra-Gell"
- 2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- Heat juice concentrate and "Ultra-Gell" together until thickened, stirring constantly. Add raspberries.
- Heat butter and honey together until warm and dissolved, and then add almond extract. Pour the butter mixture into 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Cover with sliced peaches in a single layer, and then top the peaches with thick slices of French bread. Blend eggs, milk, and vanilla extract and pour over bread, making certain each piece has some custard on it. Sprinkle with nutmeg. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least 1/2 hour.
- Bake uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve with Raspberry sauce and top with whipped cream and dust with nutmeg and sliced almonds.