Ojai Chicken Enchiladas
Ojai Chicken Enchiladas is easily one of the most-requested recipes by guests of this Health Retreat in California. The Oaks at Ojai is celebrating it’s 40th Anniversary this year by sharing specials, articles, and favorite recipes, such as this one. It’s low-fat, hearty, and makes a wonderful Autumn dish. This dish is best served with a green salad and a refreshing class of fruit-infused water or iced tea.
- 1 1/4 pounds chicken breast, cut into ½” to 1” pieces
- 1 1/4 cups onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 roasted green chiles, (canned work fine) split, seeds removed and chopped
- 3 cups or 8 servings of enchilada sauce (we used a low-fat red enchilada sauce, but green is delicious also, or a mixture)
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1/4 lb. reduced-fat cheddar cheese, grated
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 small onion, chopped fine
- 1-1/2 cups low sodium no sugar tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 cup low fat reduced sodium chicken broth
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- In a non-stick saucepan, spray oil and sauté garlic and onions until very soft and translucent.
- Add chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper.
- Bring up to bubbling, and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Set aside for Enchiladas.
- Saute chicken, garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Add seasonings and continue to cook until chicken is almost done.
- Add the chiles and 1/2 to 1 cup enchilada sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Heat tortillas to soften.
- Fill each tortilla with the chicken mixture and roll closed. Put in individual casseroles or in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Cover with remaining sauce.
- Cover the top of the dish with foil and heat until sauce is bubbling, approximately 15 minutes, depending on the size of your pan. (If filling is made ahead of time and chilled, your cooking time will be longer.)
- Remove foil and sprinkle cheese over the top of each enchilada. Return to the oven just until cheese melts, approximately 5 minutes.
Nutritional stats are for one enchilada with cheese. This low-calorie entree can afford to host some of your favorite toppings for you, but adjust accordingly for any toppings you may add, such as fat free greek yogurt, sour cream, avocado, olives, and such.
More about the Oaks at Ojai:
The Oaks at Ojai is an all-inclusive destination spa in California, a healthy retreat offering guests a range of activity from guided hikes into the mountains, to water aerobics, to restorative yoga. As an American Plan Spa, The Oaks provides a well-rounded calorie-conscious food plan that consists of three meals, snacks and beverages. The varied menus feature natural foods, fresh fish and poultry, locally-grown fruits and vegetables, homemade salad dressings and soups – all without a touch of additional salt or refined sugar used in the preparation.