Mushroom Zucchini Frittata
The Wooden Door Spa was a working woman’s health and diet retreat (the name was in gentle and fun response to the much more glamorous Golden Door Spa, in California) located on the shores of Lake Geneva, north of Chicago, in the 1980s. Although it has long since closed its “wooden doors”, many of its recipes have survived, much to the delight of our food staff who still make recipes from its collection from time to time.
- PER PERSON:
- 1 egg, plus 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 small or baby zucchini
- 1/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- Vegetable Oil for cooking
- Separate the eggs. Beat the two whites until thick and frothy.
- Beat the one yolk until smooth and lemon-colored.
- Gently fold the yolk into the egg whites.
- Add vegetables and cottage cheese. Stir to combine.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet until it sizzles.
- Pour in mixture, spreading it evenly over the skillet.
- Cook until the mixture is puffed and set.
- You may either may a shallow cut in the edges and tip the loose portions under the cook further, or, set the partially cooked dish in the oven to set the top.
- Once set to your liking, sprinkle with additional herbs if desired, and serve immediately.
Image courtesy of Apolonia | FreeDigitalPhotos.net