Portabello Mushroom, Tomato and Fresh Mozzerella Cheese
The addition of roasted portabello mushrooms adds flavor, contrast, texture, but very few calories, to this popular and classic “Caprese Salad”, perfect for lunches by the pool.
- 4 large portabello mushrooms
- scant tsp. olive oil spray
- scant tsp. sea salt
- scant tsp. black pepper, ground
- 1 medium red tomato
- 1 medium yellow tomato
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chiffonade
- 1 medium ball fresh mozzarella
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar syrup
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove stems from mushrooms, scrape away and discard gills from underneath cap. Lightly spray or brush mushroom caps with olive oil. Roast mushrooms in 425-degree oven for 4 minutes.
- Using a medium size saucepot, fill with water and bring to a boil. Remove core from tomatoes, cut small slits on skin of tomatoes on top and bottom. Place tomatoes in boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until skin begins to peel away from tomato. Remove tomato from water and immediately plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process. Remove tomatoes from ice bath and gently rub and peel off the skin. Slice each tomato into four slices and reserve on the side.
- Slice fresh mozzarella into 8 thin pieces total.
- Cut basil into chiffonade by rinsing basil leaves, discarding stems and stacking one on top of the other. Tightly roll stacks of leaves; cut basil roll with knife or kitchen shears into ultra thin strips. When the basil unravels you will achieve "chiffonade"; thin threads of basil.
- Slice mushrooms in half, season mushroom slices, tomato slices and cheese slices with sea salt, freshly ground pepper, basil and basil oil.
- Chill 4 appetizer size plates. Place one mushroom slice on each plate. Top with fresh mozzarella and tomato slice. Repeat process and finish with yellow tomato slice on top. Drizzle 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar syrup over vegetables and plate.
Miraval has been voted # 1 Destination Spa by the Readers of Travel and Leisure Magazine for the Third Year in a Row. Miraval is a luxury resort and spa unlike any other because it is an experience unlike any other. It is here in the high desert of Southern Arizona that the “Miraval experience” begins. A diverse and exhilarating range of activities, pampering guest services, innovative cuisine along with an internationally recognized spa, allow one to experience the ultimate in a resort destination. It’s a place where one can connect with life, health, meaning and purpose. More than a vacation, a place where you can appreciate the moment and bring life into balance.