Mashed Potatoes & Turnips with Caramelized Onions
This simple comfort food recipe for Mashed Potatoes and Turnips with Caramelized Onions is filled with complex carbohydrates and many nutrients. Why mess up your arteries with all the butter and cream of regular mashed potatoes when you can enjoy the rich piquant flavors of this recipe, and with no added fat. It’s a feast for both you and your heart!
The Pritikin Eating Plan recommends you eat at least 5 (and preferably many more!) servings of vegetables and greens each day for super nutrition. Plus, you’ll just naturally eat fewer calories and shed excess weight. The chefs at the Pritikin health resort have introduced thousands over the last four decades to the pleasures of healthy cooking. Daily, they not only serve up deliciously healthy cuisine, they teach guests all the skills for preparing healthy food at home. This is one of the Guest Favorites!
- 1 pound potatoes (Yukon Gold)
- 1 pound turnips
- 1/4 cup milk (non-fat) very hot
- 1/8 cup sour cream (non-fat )
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Splenda
- Bring potatoes and turnips to a boil over medium-high heat for about 25 minutes, until tender.
- Once boiled, add potatoes and turnips to a large mixing boil and mash.
- Add hot milk, sour cream and nutmeg.
- Whip until mixture is light and fluffy.
- In a hot nonstick skillet, sauté onions till they are light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and Splenda. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Fold caramelized onions into potatoes and turnips.
The Pritikin Eating Plan is proven in more than 100 peer-reviewed studies to have life-saving benefits like lowering cholesterol and blood pressure. Plus, you aren’t losing your mind while losing weight. There’s no calorie counting, no hunger. Just plenty of healthy, whole foods deliciously prepared, like the recipes shared with Spa Index. Pritikin was the first comprehensive lifestyle program in America, and after 39 years on the cutting edge of lifestyle science, we are still the longest-running, most successful program for reversing many of modern society’s health concerns, including obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes. More than 100,000 people worldwide have come to Pritikin Longevity Center, in Miami Florida, for one-week programs, two-week programs, or longer. For some, the primary goal is losing weight. Others want to prevent and address health issues. Still others seek the ultimate spa-health vacation. Everyone leaves feeling better and, best of all – living better.