Lasagna Roll Ups
Autumn always signifies comfort cooking, to us. We take the slow cookers out of storage, pour over casserole and pasta recipes, lay in a cord of firewood, and read cookbooks, nestled under a throw during the evening’s cooler temperatures. Green Mountain at Fox Run in Ludlow, Vermont, has a Lasagne recipe that is fit and healthy, and still lets us taste the best of Autumn.
Green Mountain is the only all-women’s healthy weight loss program promoting long-term weight management through healthy lifestyle change. It also offers intensive type 2 diabetes programs to help women prevent or manage diabetes through lifestyle change.
- 6 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Spinach leaves (optional -- added by SpaIndex Staff)
- 1 jar (25 oz) no sugar low sodium tomato pasta sauce (divided)
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella (or parmesan) cheese for topping
- Prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain, separate cooked noodles and lay on wax paper to keep them from sticking. [Note: if not preparing immediately, also cover them with wax paper or plastic wrap so they don’t dry out.]
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In small mixing bowl, combine ricotta, egg, parmesan cheese, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Spread one cup of the jarred pasta sauce on bottom of baking dish.
- Cut the noodles in half lengthwise and spread cheese mixture evenly on the noodles. Layer with spinach leaves, if desired.
- Roll each half into a spiral and arrange in baking dish on top of the sauce.
- When all of the rolls have been made, spread another cup of tomato sauce on top of the rolls, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (and fresh basil if desired).
- Cover dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375ºF for 20 minutes; remove foil and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan heat remaining pasta sauce and serve additional sauce as needed.