Hearty Lentil Soup
It’s cooling down in the provinces and time for some Autumnal soup recipes. Lentils are a healthy diet must, so add a little of this tasty food to your soup bowl. From Hockley Valley Resort in Ontario, At cabin, the resort’s signature restaurant, we offer our version of a tasty, hearty and healthy lentil soup. Want to try making it yourself? We’ll share! Here’s our original recipe for a guest favorite soup.
According to lentils.ca, here are just some of the facts you need to know about this nutrient rich legume:
- Widely used as a meat alternative, lentils are super high in protein. In fact, a ¾ cup serving of uncooked green lentils packs in about 13 grams of protein! They are also an amazing source of fibre, potassium, iron, folate and manganese.
- Dry or canned, lentils are a healthy choice. Pay attention to the sodium in the canned variety, though. Be sure to them rinse off to lower your sodium consumption.
- Unlike beans, lentils do not need to be soaked prior to preparation. Give them a quick rinse and they are good to go. Saving you time and energy, it’s just that much easier to start adding them into your everyday regimen.
- Lentils are so versatile, they can be added to anything from soups and salads to dips, or even baked goods, and can be pureed for dessert recipes! If you haven’t tried adding them to some of your favourite recipes, what are you waiting for?
- Canada is a huge grower and exporter of the world’s lentils, with Saskatchewan leading the way! Not only are lentils amazingly healthy, but they are often Canadian, and supporting the country’s national agriculture and economy is just a win/win.
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup lentils (du puy lentils are recommended)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano cheese
- Scant Olive Oil
- Add olive oil to the pot and heat gently. Gently cook the carrots, celery and onions. Stir in the crushed garlic, thyme, rosemary and bay leaf.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add lentils, mix well with vegetables. Add stock. Add salt and pepper. Simmer for at least 30 minutes on low heat.
- Adjust seasoning and drizzle olive oil or grated parmigiano cheese. We add fresh blanched escarole to finish the soup. Grilled bread, rubbed with garlic and drizzled with olive oil can be added as a garnish.