Healthy Salads for Meal Planning
The secret to delicious, healthy salads is blending several sweet, salty, bitter, sour and umami tastes to make an appetizing combination. Here, Shane Diet & Fitness Resorts in New York two of their popular spa salads which feature superfoods, Kale, Spinach, Blueberries, and fit the bill, perfectly.
Leafy greens can get a bad rep for tasting bad, especially the acclaimed superfood, kale, which makes many lists of diet foods, but raw kale is extremely bitter and does not have a soft leaf. Shane’s Kale Apple Quinoa Salad includes ingredients that will compliment the kale’s flavor in a way that makes it as enjoyable as any other salad green and will help in healthy meal planning.
Spinach, another commonly acclaimed superfood for its antioxidant properties, is the base of the second recipe for Blueberry Spinach Feta Salad. A common spinach salad includes dried cranberries, bleu cheese and walnuts. However, this salad switches things up with a different cheese and a unique combination of flavors.
Both of these healthy salads can be incorporated into a well-balanced meal (and the Kale Quinoa Salad is even a complete protein source), and they can be made ahead of time to be used as a side when there isn’t time for planning.
- 2 cups finely chopped kale
- ½ cup diced or sliced apples
- ½ cup diced bell peppers (red, orange and/or yellow)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts, raw
- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa
- 3 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced scallions
- Prepare quinoa according to directions on box, rinse with cool water and drain.
- Whisk together all of the vinegar, oil, sugar and scallions and set aside.
- Prepare all fruits, vegetables and walnuts and mix together in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing (vinegar and oil mixture) over the salad and mix well. Set aside at least 15 minutes in fridge before serving.
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup feta cheese
- ½ cup almond slices
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, honey and black pepper; set aside.
- Toss the rest of ingredients together, being sure to wash fresh produce.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve immediately.
About Shane Diet & Fitness Resorts
Ziporah Janowski’s passion for and involvement in the weight loss and health world is well established. Her husband David Ettenberg is the owner of Camp Shane, the country’s oldest weight loss camps for children. Wanting to bring Camp Shane’s formula for success to adults, Ziporah founded Shane Diet & Fitness Resorts for adults in 2008 after a successful career as a corporate attorney. Ziporah is so committed to delivering a life changing program, she became a certified wellness chef in 2016, graduating from the Natural Gourmet Institute in New York City. An avid believer in living a healthy lifestyle, she strives to promote better fitness, nutrition and long-lasting change in both her work life and personal life.