Pearson’s Pond Hot and Healthy Ham Quiche
Prize-winning quiche from the kitchen of Pearson’s Pond Luxury Bed and Breakfast Inn and Garden Spa in Juneau, Alaska — used in their Healthy Start Spa Program in Alaska. This is especially good for those with low tolerance for lactose, cholesterol, and fat. This is very quick to fix and holds over well. Delicious served at any meal (with fruit at breakfast or salad for lunch and dinner). Can easily be used as appetizer when cut in cubes or formed in bite size muffin pans.
- 1 cup soft silken or firm tofu
- 1 cup rice or soy milk (plain or vanilla)
- 1 cup liquid egg product
- 3/4 cup nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1 10 oz. bag no-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup or fresh mushrooms
- 1 med. red bell pepper (or substitute a few sun-dried tomatoes)
- 1 med. yellow or green bell pepper
- 2 mild jalapeno peppers (or 2/3 of a small can of Ortega roasted mild chilies - chopped)
- 1 - 1-1/2 cups cubed or ground ham (may substitute 3/4 c. crumbled bacon or sausage)
- 1/2 teaspoon hot curry powder (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon granulated steak seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 baked, cooled, pie crusts
- Blend first 4 ingredients and the spices in a blender.
- Chop peppers (veggies) and ham in a food processor till the size of small peas.
- Drain in colander a few minutes.
- In the pie crusts, distribute the shredded cheese, mushrooms, ham and peppers.
- Pour wet ingredients from blender over it.
- Bake about 45 minutes at 350 degrees untill knife inserted into pie comes out clean.
- Let set at least 15 minutes, then cut in wedges and serve.
- May be reheated in microwave for late-comers.
Photo courtesy of nuchylee FreeDigitalPhotos.net