Ham and Egg Cups
This basic comfort food breakfast is actually perfect spa fare. High in protein, low in fat, and adaptable to a variety of tastes — adding salsa and chili powder for a south of the border taste, adding spinach and ham for a florentine taste, or adding swiss cheese and bacon for “Quiche Lorraine” inspired egg cup. Whatever your taste, this little cup of breakfast is attractive and comforting for one, for the family, for a brunch or shower, or part of healthy eating day.
- vegetable spray
- 1 slice deli ham
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheddar or low fat cheese, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons low fat plain yogurt or low fat sour cream
- 1-2 chopped mushrooms
- ground pepper to taste
- diced parsley to taste
- diced green onion to taste
- Spray a microwaveable ramekin, custard cup, or large tea/coffee cup with vegetable spray. Place ham slice in dish, forming a cup. Sprinkle with diced green onion and 1 tablespoon shredded cheese.
- In a small bowl, beat together eggs, yogurt and pepper until blended, add mushrooms and green onions, if desired. Pour into ham-lined ramekin. Sprinkle with parsley and remaining cheese.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap, turning it back slightly to vent. Microwave on medium-high (70%) for 2-1/2 minutes to 3 minutes or until cooked as desired.
- Remove from microwave but do not remove plastic wrap; let stand for 1 minute. Remove plastic wrap and serve.
- 6 slices thinly shaved ham
- 6 eggs
- 1 Tbsp milk, cream, or fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp pepper
- 2-3 Tbsp mushrooms
- 1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
- Vegetables of your choice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 6-cup muffin tin with Pam. Line each cup with shaved ham to forming a cup.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine eggs with cream, salt and pepper until frothy. Add veggies and cheese.
- Stir until blended and pour an equal portion into each ham cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are puffed.
Photo courtesy of Alberta Egg Producers