Grilled Angel Food Cake with Berry Salsa
Serve this delightful warm cake on a night you are gilling steak, chicken or fish on your outdoor grill. The salsa is prepared ahead of time, and when you are ready for dessert, grill the angel food cake on your still warm coals, top with salsa and a creamy topping, and dessert is served.
The BROADMOOR is the longest-running consecutive winner of both the AAA Five-Diamond and Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star awards. This 5 star Colorado Springs spa resort is located on 3,000 lush acres under the shadow of Cheyenne Mountain and offers an award-winning spa, fitness center, two swimming pools, three outdoor hot tubs, one lap pool; 54 holes of championship golf, six tennis courts with tennis camps; children’s programs; 24-hour room service, specialty retail shops; and is pet friendly.
The resort is also home to a Culinary Academy and is known for its exceptional regional cuisine. Guests enjoy this dessert which is wonderful for those seeking lighter fare.
- 4 cups mixed fresh berries, such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, and/or quartered strawberries
- 3 tablespoons thinly slivered fresh mint
- 1 slice candied or peeled fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, or sugar substitute, or more to taste
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar) or agave syrup
- 1 tablespoon Tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 to 12 slices (3/4-inch thick) angel food cake
- 2 tablespoons low calorie butter spread
- For the salsa, place the berries, mint, ginger, jalapeno(s), lime juice, and granulated sugar in a mixing bowl but do not mix until ready to plate. The salsa can be prepared to this stage up to 2 hours ahead and refrigerated. When ready to plate, taste for sweetness and mix.
- For the whipped cream topping, beat the cream to soft peaks in a chilled bowl using an electric mixer, hand-held beater, or whisk. Whisk in the confectioners' sugar, tequila, and cinnamon and beat until firm. The tequila-whipped cream can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead and refrigerated, covered.
- For the cake, set up the grill for direct grilling and preheat to medium high.
- When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate. Lightly brush the cake slices on both sides with the butter spread. Arrange the slices of cake on the grill at a diagonal to the bars of the grate and grill until lightly browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side, turning with a spatula. Transfer the grilled cake slices to a platter or plates.
- Mix Berry Salsa, sweeten to taste, and spoon over grilled cake slices. Top with cream, if using. Serve immediately.