Red Mountain Green Chili Pork Posole
Posole is a traditional latin american dish with ancient origins. Maize was a sacred plant for the Aztecs and others in Mesoamerica, and pozole was created as a celebratory meal for special occasions. The Aztecs included human-shaped dumplings out of masa dough. Posole is now a favorite entree in many Mexican restaurants. The maize is represented by hominy kernals. Often, you will see it garnished with avocado. This is a healthy fat, so if you can spare the calories, by all means add it.
- 1/3 onion, diced
- 1/2 stalk celery, diced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 1 1/4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 lb pork loin, lean, boneless
- 3 1/2 oz. hominy
- 1/2 cup canned green chiles, diced
- 3 oz. tomatillos, whole
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Black Pepper
- 2 3/4 cup chicken stock, skimmed of all fat
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sauté diced onions, celery, and garlic in oil until tender.
- Add diced pork and continue cooking until meat has browned.
- Add hominy, green chilies, tomatillos, cumin, chile powder, salt, pepper and chicken
- stock and simmer 1 hour.
- Mix in the cilantro and serve.
Whether your goal is weight loss, improved athletic performance, stress relief, increased energy or simply trying something new, Red Mountain Resort offers an extensive range of enjoyable yet highly effective programs, fitness classes and workshops for all ages and abilities. Our fitness professionals can also create a customized program that assesses and addresses your specific needs.