Fruity Turkey Curry Pita
This Turkey Curry Pita sandwich is made with Pita Bread, a Mediterranean favorite. This bread is favored by many health conscious diners because it’s generally thinner, lighter, and less caloric than two slices of sandwich bread, and vegan.
The “pocket” in pita bread is created by steam, which puffs up the dough. As the bread cools and flattens, a pocket is left in the middle for stuffing and layering ingredients. Pita bread can be found in most markets in both white and whole wheat flour varieties, but if you are a break baker, you’ll want to try making your own (here is a recipe we like from Dassana of Veg Recipes of India. She has fantastic step by step photographs for you).
Try using some of your leftover holiday turkey in this popular Turkey Curry Pita sandwich recipe, a popular lunch entree at Birdwing Spa. It’s savory, low calorie, high protein, and well-balanced.
The Birdwing Destination Spa is located in Litchfield, Minnesota on 300 pristine woodland acres laced with ponds, fountains, hammocks and more than 2 miles of private lakeshore. Get fit and hike 15 miles of walking path, canoe, kayak, bike, cross-country ski, snowshoe, or energize with one of many aerobic or yoga classes offered.
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoons curry powder, your favorite blend (hot or mild)
- 10 oz boneless skinless chicken, cooked and cut into bite size pieces -or-
- 10 oz of diced, cooked turkey
- 4 romaine green leaves
- 4 whole-wheat pita pocket halves (2 whole pitas)
- In medium size bowl mix the yogurt and curry powder until well blended.
- Add chicken or turkey grapes, and green onions and stir together; set in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Line pita pocket halves with romaine lettuce and scoop chicken mixture into pita.