Golden Door Four Citrus Salad with Honey and Sherry
This four citrus salad courtesy of Golden Door Spa in Escondido is light, lively, and beautiful. We are fortunate to have citrus year round so we don’t need to rely on specific seasons, but the salad is good any time of year if you wish to substitute a few citrus fruits available and supplement with other colorful fruits, including pear and pomegranate seeds.
- 1 orange, zest julienned into small strips, fruit reserved
- 2 Meyer lemons
- 2 tangerines
- 1 blood orange
- 1 large pink grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola or walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil
- 4 cups mixed lettuces
- In a small saucepan of boiling water, blanch the orange zest strips for 2 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Working over a bowl, peel, seed, and section each of the citrus fruits, cutting off the membrane, collecting the juices as you work. You should have about 1/2 cup citrus juice. Set the fruit aside.
- To make the dressing, whisk the vinegar, honey, pepper, and the oil into the citrus juices. Stir in the basil. If the fruit is very tart, add a little more honey to the dressing.
- To serve, spread the greens on 4 chilled plates. Arrange the citrus sections on the greens, drizzle with the dressing, and garnish with blanched orange zest.