Easy Black Bean Soup
This recipe comes to us courtesy of Green Mountain at Fox Run, Vermont, a for-women-only health retreat in the green mountains of Vermont, and appears on Green Mountain’s blog A Weight Lifted. This recipe for Black Bean Soup is a favorite from Recipes for Living, the Green Mountain at Fox Run digital cookbook.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 6 cups of cooked black beans (if using canned rinse well)
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomato
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 quart water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup diced roasted red peppers
- Combine all ingredients, except the cheese and roasted red peppers, in a soup pot.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Puree then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, and adjust texture with water.
- Serve topped with the shredded cheese and roasted peppers.
- Makes 12 one-cup servings.