Dolphin Island Brown Rice and Fresh Fish Salad
This delicious recipe for Brown Rice and Fresh Fish Salad was presented by Michel Louws as part of the MasterChef Masterclass presented on Dolphin Island in Fiji. Don’t be intimidated by the steps and list of ingredients. This vibrant, healthy, colorful and fresh salad is worth every bite. That said, we made this without the crab (not in season) and used just fresh fish, and it was superb.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups water
- 100g sweet soy sauce
- 30g soy sauce
- 5ml sesame oil
- 50g sushi seasoning
- 30ml lemon juice
- Zest of ½ lemon
- Red chilli, finely chopped, to taste
- 20g ginger, finely grated
- 5 coriander roots, cleaned, finely chopped
- 75g mayonnaise
- 15g wasabi paste
- 1 large mud crab
- 2 pieces dried pickled mango
- 50g caster sugar
- 170ml white wine vinegar
- 1g white pepper
- 200ml water
- 10 lime leaves
- 200g coral trout or any fresh fish available
- 200g tuna loin or any fresh fish available
- Shichimi powder (Japanese 7 flavour chilli powder)
- Small piece of pumpkin, peeled, very thinly sliced
- ¼ carrot, peeled, thinly sliced in discs
- 3 green beans, cut into small pieces
- 2 cos lettuce leaves, torn into small pieces
- ¼ telegraph cucumber, peeled, finely cubed
- 50 g sushi seasoning
- 50 g mandarin oil
- 3 cherry tomatoes, peeled, cut in half
- 4 black garlic cloves, cut in half
- 6 small slices pickled ginger
- 2 tsp mixed black and white sesame seeds, toasted
- ¼ sheet nori, toasted, torn into small pieces
- 1 tbsp bonito flakes
- Coriander leaves, picked
- To cook the brown rice, put the brown rice water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. When the water starts to boil, turn heat down to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed and there is no water standing at the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes then uncover and allow to cool.
- Combine the ingredients for the brown rice dressing and mix well. Leave to stand for 30 minutes to infuse then pass. Dress the rice with the dressing just before you start to assemble the dish.
- To make the wasabi mayonnaise, combine the mayonnaise and wasabi and mix well. Set aside.
- To cook the crab, place the dried mango in a saucepan of well salted water and bring to the boil. Place the crab in the water and cook for 3-5 minutes, depending on the size, until just cooked through. Remove from the boiling water and plunge into iced water to refresh. Remove the shell and use the pointed end of a teaspoon to pick the crab meat from the shell. Set aside.
- To make the sweet and sour pickling liquid, place all of the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat. Add sliced carrot and pumpkin, leave to cool.
- To make the vegetable dressing, whisk together the sushi seasoning and mandarin oil.
- To prepare the fish, sprinkle each fillet with salt and shichimi. Heat a large frying pan over high heat and sear the fish on all sides for about 30 seconds until coloured. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- To serve, place the dressed rice in the base of a large serving dish. Slice the fish into bite sized pieces and place around the rice. Place the crab meat around the dish. Dress the beans, cos lettuce and cucumber vegetables with vegetable dressing and season with salt. Place around the plate. Finish with the remaining garnish.
The brown rice can be cooked in a rice cooker.
To peel the cherry tomatoes, make a tiny nick in the base of each tomato, drop into boiling water for a few seconds then plunge into iced water. The skins should slip right off.
About Dolphin Island:
A stunning 14-acre private retreat offers a maximum of just eight guests, the ultimate luxury castaway private Pacific island experience, on an exclusive-use basis. Spa Treatments, Family Friendly Lodging, Meals, and Diving Excursions. Read More