Crab Pot Pie
Not all of our recipes are necessarily geared to low calorie, low fat, or other dietary restrictions. Sometimes a hearty meal at a spa hotel is comfort food, such as this one. While this is not a low-calorie entree, it doesn’t have the heavy cream typical of many pot pies, and, you can easily adapt by using reduced calorie butter spread in place of the butter, and, philo dough or puff pastry sheets (as shown) in place of the more fat lade pie crust. It is a reader favorite dish at a popular Northern California spa hotel — the Little River Inn.
Relax and unwind at Little River Inn, a family-owned destination hotel and resort on the Mendocino coast of northern California. This is where the coast’s history and natural beauty meet. Perched on the Pacific Ocean, Little River Inn has graciously greeted guests for five generations. Dramatic and ever-changing ocean views provide a breathtaking backdrop for your stay.
The Third Court Salon and Day Spa is the perfect place to relax, indulge and rejuvenate with a full array of services. Unwind with a massage or treat yourself to a personalized facial in a relaxing private rooms. Third Court offers professional hair care as well as a full spectrum of customized salon, spa and bridal services. The Spa is open daily.
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 1 leek (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1 Russet potato (diced)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups clam juice
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 teaspoons Old Bay
- pinch of salt and white pepper
- ½ cup butter (browned)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound cleaned crab meat
- 1 pound of your preferred pie dough
- Saute onions, leeks and celery in butter on medium heat for 3 min. Add flour and cook for 1 min. Add potato and clam juice. Cook until potatoes are just tender.
- Remove from heat, add lemon zest, Old Bay, salt and pepper.
- In separate pan cook ½ cup butter until slightly browned. Add to mixture and cool (this can be made ahead).
- When cool add peas and crab meat, mix well.
- Divide into oven proof baking dishes. Top with pie dough and brush with egg wash.
- Bake for 25 minutes until crust is golden brown.