Cornmeal Walnut Waffles
This recipe for Cornmeal Walnut Waffles is already health-conscious, but can also be easily converted to gluten-free if you are using GF oats and cornmeal, and it’s suitable for vegans as well (without even using the V word around your suspicious families, friends or guests). We think that makes this recipe a perfect Christmas Morning breakfast option, particularly if you DO have dining companions with special dietary needs. Everyone dines on the same delicious, warm and hearty fare.
- ½ cup walnuts
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons apple juice concentrate or other sweetener
- Pulse to blend all dry ingredients. The ingredients should be finely chopped but not pulverized into oblivion.
- Add water and apple juice, or other sweetener to taste.
- Blend by hand, just until mixed.
- Let batter sit about 5 minutes in order for the grains and nuts to absorb moisture and thicken.
- Pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup portions into hot waffle iron
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
- Serve with applesauce, fruit sauce, or your favorite topping.