Cheeseburger Lettuce Wraps
You will need some napkins for this juicy burger! Serve this delicious, low-carb and naturally gluten-free version with a side of skinny potato skins or Zucchini Fries. This will surely become a family favorite in your home just as it is in ours. Ordinarily we don’t go for cheese on our burgers — it masks great tasting beef and adds unnecessary calories. So for us, we’d leave the cheese off, but battle lines can be drawn over this issue. Either way, it’s a good low carb burger.
- 1.25 pounds lean ground sirloin between 4-8% fat, or ground turkey
- Burger seasoning of your choice, 2 teaspoons (We like the Beef and Burger Herb from Made in Napa Valley and garlic salt)
- Four slices 2% Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Provolone, or cheese of your choice
- 12 Butter lettuce leaves, whole, washed
- One large avocado, sliced into 8 wedges
- Sliced red onion
- Sliced tomatoes
- Pickle spears
- Turn the grill on or pre-heat the oven.
- You can also grill in a cast iron skillet.
- Prepare the burger patties by mixing the seasoning into the meat and forming four patties.
- Cook the burger patties to your liking, about 5 minutes on each side. Add the cheese slices as soon as you take the patties off the grill.
- Prepare individual plates with 3 lettuce leaves on each. Place cooked patties on top of lettuce leaves and top each patty with a red onion and tomato slice. Garnish the plate with a pickle and avocado. We like to add a dollop of mayo and mustard to our burger.
- Wrap the lettuce around the burger and take a delicious bite with napkins close by because it will get all over!
Paula Hendricks is a Certified Nutritionist with Hendricks for Health, a bariatric health center in Sacramento, California.