Canyon Ranch Pumpkin Crunch
From Canyon Ranch Health Spa comes this very fast Pumpkin Crunch recipe. Use it as a breakfast cereal, or eat out of hand or top your yogurt with it. We like to keep a baggie in the car on long road trips — it’s an excellent trail mix. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of healthy mono- and poly-unsaturated oils besides being a good source of fiber, iron, magnesium, and phosphorus. Maple Syrup is a natural sweetener which turns a wonderful bronze color. Use it to taste. The cranberries add a tart flavor. If you prefer something sweeter, tried dried cherries, blueberries, apricots, or even raisins.
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300F.
- Lightly spray a baking sheet with canola oil spray.
- Toss seeds with oil in a small bowl. Spread the coated seeds on the baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes, or until almost dry.
- Place seeds in a medium bowl and mix in maple syrup until coated.
- Combine spices in a small bowl and add mixture to the seeds. Stir to combine.
- Return seeds to the baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, or until dry, stirring occasionally. Turn the pan several times to ensure even roasting, checking frequently—seeds burn easily.
- Set seeds aside until completely cool, about 30 minutes.
- Combine seeds and dried cranberries in a large bowl. Store in a tightly sealed container.