Cal a Vie Bloody Mary Gazpacho
This bright, colorful and savory dish is a classic chilled soup perfect for a warm Spring or Summer Spa Lunch. Bloody Mary Gazpacho is zesty enough to waken the tongue, without the alcohol of the popular breakfast cocktail. It was developed by Cal-a-Vie Spa’s executive chef, Curtis Cooke, and is a guest favorite entree. If you have a green thumb or access to a Farmer’s Market, it is best with fresh picked summer tomatoes.
- 4 pounds Heirloom tomatoes (blanched, peeled, chopped)
- 1 pound cucumber, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 pound green bell pepper, seeded, chopped
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds (21-25) shrimp (peeled, deveined, cleaned)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Micro greens for garnish
- In a high speed blender, combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil and puree until very smooth.
- While the blender is still running, slowly add the olive oil until completely incorporated.
- To prepare the shrimp, fill a large pot with 1 gallon of water, add a pinch of salt and squeeze in the juice of the lemon, and toss the lemon halves in the water for extra flavor.
- Bring the water to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add shrimp. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until the shrimp are bright pink and the tails curl. Using a slotted spoon, remove the shrimp and chill thoroughly before serving.
- Pour soup into chilled glasses, garnish with 1 shrimp each plus microgreens.
Cal-a-Vie bridges the gap between health resort and luxury spa with ease. Its comprehensive nutritional services, including consultations with a registered dietician, as well as tests with a biochemistry focus. The active exercise program includes more than 130 different classes ranging from activities from advanced (for the very fit) to transitional (for those beginning or returning to a fitness regime). To this, add gourmet spa cuisine and therapeutic spa treatments and the majority of guests leave the resort having lost weight and gained healthy lifestyle changes.