Broccoli Mushroom Quiche with Saltine Crust
This recipe for Broccoli Mushroom Cheddar Quiche is very simple and has good balance of protein, carbs and fat. It’s delicious for breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner, and reheats well to take to work or casual pot luck. We were very happy to learn about the crust tip — we never thought to crush saltines in place of bread crumbs or flour. Bonus: We had Whole Wheat Saltines!
Structure House in Durham, North Carolina is a respected residential weight loss program founded upon the philosophy that achieving and maintaining weight loss goals is the result of changing the way overweight individuals think about nutrition, exercise and the role food plays in their lives. Since 1977, Structure House has helped many thousands of participants from many nations battle obesity. The program has been featured in a wide range of media outlets, including The Today Show, The New York Times, 60 Minutes, Glamour magazine, the Wall Street Journal, CNN, FOX & Friends and USA TODAY.
Broccoli Mushroom Cheddar Quiche
Courtesy of: Structure House, Durha, NC
- 20 unsalted saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 5 teaspoons reduced calorie butter or spread, softened
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup broccoli florets, blanched
- 2-1/2 ounces 2% cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1-1/4 cups 1% cottage cheese
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon thyme
Preheat oven to 350º.
Make the crust
- Crumble crackers and blend with softened buttery spread.
- Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
Make the filling
- Arrange mushrooms, blanched broccoli, and cheddar cheese evenly in the pie pan, on top of the crust.
- Combine eggs, skim milk, cottage cheese, cornstarch, and thyme in blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
- Pour over the vegetable mixture.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165º.
- Remove quiche from oven. Let rest for 15 minutes, then cut into 4 equal portions.
By the Numbers
Serving size: 1/4 th | Cal: 300 | Fat (g): 13.5 | Carbs (g): 21 | Sodium (mg): 560 | Fiber (g): 2 | Protein (g): 24