Broadmoor Sweet Potato and Pear Soup
The original recipe for this decadent cold weather soup from the Broadmoor Resort relies on heavy cream as both its primary liquid and its creamy ingredient. Using our VitaMix blender which delivers superbly creamy and velvety textures to blended foods, we adapted this recipe and reduced the calorie content by using a mixture of 1 quart of chicken stock and 1/2 quart of whole milk in place of 1.5 quarts of heavy cream. You can reduce the calories further by using non-fat milk, or, a dollop of Greek Yogurt for a tangy substitute, or no dairy products at all, although your soup will be thinner. The key to the velvety texture in the lower calorie version is thorough blending.
- 4 each sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 each pears, peeled, diced and cores removed
- 1 each small white onion peeled and sliced
- 2 each celery stalks, diced
- 1.5 quarts heavy cream *or* 1.5 quarts stock and milk blend
- 1 each cinnamon stick
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt the unsalted butter and add the sliced onion, celery stalk and sweet potato. Cook for about 30 minutes until vegetables are almost tender, stirring often.
- Add cream (or stock and milk blend), spices and the pears. Bring to a boil and simmer for 20 more minutes.
- Pass cooked soup through a chinois or strainer or blender (we used our Vitamix).
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
About the Broadmoor Resort
The BROADMOOR is the longest-running consecutive winner of both the AAA Five-Diamond and Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star awards. This 5 star Colorado Springs spa resort is located on 3,000 lush acres under the shadow of Cheyenne Mountain and offers an award-winning spa, fitness center, two swimming pools, three outdoor hot tubs, one lap pool; 54 holes of championship golf, six tennis courts with tennis camps; children’s programs; 24-hour room service, specialty retail shops; and is pet friendly. Monthly recipes are available on the website and via email. Click on “Dining” and “Chef’s Recipes.”