Golden Door Blueberry Bread
We’ve made this recipe with whatever dried fruit strikes our fancy, including dried cherries, apricots, peaches, and cranberries.
Golden Door Banana Blueberry Bread
Courtesy of: Golden Door Spa
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ripe medium bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large omega-3 egg
- 1 large omega-3 egg white
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 and 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup dried blueberries, soaked in warm water for about 15 minutes, and drained
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9 x 5-inch or 8 1/2 x 4-inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Stir in the whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, and salt.
- In a blender or food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the bananas, brown sugar, egg, egg white, canola oil, and buttermilk, and process until smooth. Add the orange zest and pulse until just combined.
- Make a well in the flour mixture. Pour the banana mixture into it and mix until almost incorporated. Add the walnuts and drained blueberries and gently mix into the batter. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, the top is golden brown, and the bread begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven, invert on a wire rack, and cool briefly before slicing.
- Slice into 1/2 to 3/4 inch-thick slices.
Shown here spread thickly with Spring Hill Lemon Quark.