Biggest Loser Turkey Meatball Soup
We’ve never been fans of soups or stews that called for ground meat. It tends to turn an unpleasant color, gets too chewy, and doesn’t have the satisfying “bite” cubed meats provide. In this recipe, however, the use of ground turkey shaped into meatballs solves the dilemma — lean protein from the turkey and a nice mouth feel from a tender meatball. It is family approved, as well. The teens and husbands love it and don’t complain they are testing “spa food.”
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-fat salt-free marinara sauce
- 1 - 15 ounce can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Crushed red pepper flakes to taste
- 1- 1.25 lb package lean ground turkey
- ½ pound broccoli rabe, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano
- Heat a large pot over high heat with chicken broth, marinara sauce, beans and crushed red pepper flakes until mixture comes to a simmer.
- While mixture comes to a simmer, season lean ground turkey with Nu-Salt and pepper flakes. Roll turkey into about 40 meatballs.
- Next, stir broccoli rabe into the broth and bring to a simmer. Add meatballs to the broth, cover pan with lid and lightly poach the meatballs until just cooked through, stirring occasionally for about 6 minutes. The broth should barely simmer.
- Check soup for seasoning.
- Ladle into 4 large bowls and top with pecorino.
NBC’s BIGGEST LOSER program is conducted at the Biggest Loser Resorts, Utah Excerpted from various sources including The Biggest Loser Cookbook and Cheryl Forberg, RD, the author of The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle. (Rodale 2009)