Chicken Tenders DiSpirito
Chef Rocco DiSpirito shows how to make this Southern favorite Chicken Tenders, without the fat. Your family will love this recipe, and it totes well to pot lucks, lunches at work, picnics in the park, and road trips. No one doesn’t love chicken fingers.
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders
- 1 quart low fat buttermilk
- 2 cups whole wheat breadcrumbs*
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 tablespoons + 1 teaspoons organic seasoning Salt
- 1 tablespoons ground black pepper
- Large pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 egg whites, beaten to very soft peaks
- Pam cooking spray or olive oil
- Soak chicken tenders in refrigerator, in buttermilk, for 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain and blot with paper towels to remove excess buttermilk.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lay bread crumbs out on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes. Cool.
- Increase oven heat to 450 degrees F.
- Combine cornstarch, paprika, seasoning salt, black pepper, and cayenne in a large Pyrex dish - mix well.
- Dredge drained and blotted chicken tenders in seasoned starch.
- Next, coat dredged tenders thoroughly with beaten egg whites.
- Last, dip tenders in bread crumbs to fully coat.
- Place chicken tenders on a foil-lined baking sheet, fitted with a baking rack.
- Lightly spray chicken on both sides with Pam and season lightly with salt, if desired.
- Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes or until outside is crispy and chicken is just cooked through and juicy.
Photo credit Nicole at Prevention RD. Nicole, a Registered Dietician, has made this recipe many times. Visit her blog to see her various presentations of this comfort food favorite. NBC’s BIGGEST LOSER program is conducted at the Biggest Loser Resort at Fitness Ridge, Utah.