Biggest Loser Breakfast Sopes
Another take on a popular Tex Mex breakfast, this one has staying power, as most egg dishes tend to have. Black beans, eggs, fresh salsa, and feta in a masa shell — it’s family approved and perfect for brunch with guests.
- 1/2 cup egg beaters liquid eggs
- 1/2 cup black beans, pureed
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup maseca masa flour
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon Fitness Ridge pesto sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh salsa
- 2 cilantro stems with leaf attached
- A sprinkle of feta cheese
- In a pot add the beans, onion, vegetable stock, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 minutes on low until the onions and garlic are soft then mix in a blender. Then set aside for later.
- Mix the masa flour and water together until you get a sandy paste consistency.
- Using a round pastry ring split the dough in half and then take one piece of dough and press and fill it into the bottom of the pastry ring -- as a size template -- until the dough is stretched out in a small, round, raw tortilla.
- In a hot sauté pan, spray with Pam Non-Stick Cooking Spray and place the small raw tortilla circle in the pan and cook on each side for about 5 minutes.
- Repeat process until you have 2 cooked masa tortillas.
- Scramble the eggs in a sauté pan on low heat until they are cooked and fluffy.
- Add 1/4 cup of bean puree to each plate.
- Place the cooked "sope" or masa tortilla on top of the bean puree.
- Add half of the eggs to each plate and garnish with salsa, feta and a little pesto for color and taste.
NBC’s BIGGEST LOSER program is conducted at the Biggest Loser Resorts, Utah. Excerpted from various sources including The Biggest Loser Cookbook and Cheryl Forberg, RD, the author of The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle; Jennie-O Turkey Store; Biggest Loser Families; and executive chef Cameron Payne of Biggest Loser Resorts