Biggest Loser BLT Burger
Who doesn’t love the classic combo of bacon, lettuce and tomato? Add it to a hamburger and this is a keeper recipe for a BLT Burger, rich in taste and nutritious. Here, the lettuce is swapped out for spinach which has more nutrients, but mix spinach and lettuce together if you need that extra crunch.
- 4 strips extra-lean turkey bacon, each cut in half
- 1 pound 96% lean ground beef
- 4 whole grain or whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 4 large or 8 to 12 small thin tomato slices
- 4 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- Preheat a grill to high heat.
- Place a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and add the bacon strips.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until crisp. Remove from the pan and cover to keep warm.
- Divide the beef into 4 equal portions and shape into balls, packing them tightly as you do.
- Press each into a patty that is about 1⁄2" larger than the diameter of the buns.
- Grill the burgers for about 2 minutes per side for medium rare, or until desired doneness (do not smash the burgers with a spatula).
- Place the bun halves, cut sides down, on the upper grill rack or away from direct flame until toasted, about 20 seconds.
- Place each toasted bun bottom on a plate. Top with the spinach, tomato, patties, then 2 pieces of bacon each.
- Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise evenly on each bun top, flip atop the patties, and serve.
Excerpted from various sources including The Biggest Loser Cookbook and Cheryl Forberg, RD, the author of The Biggest Loser Simple Swaps: 100 Easy Changes to Start Living a Healthier Lifestyle; Jennie-O Turkey Store; Biggest Loser Family Cookbook; and Biggest Loser Resorts